Karneval presentation for 7th grade kids in Kolonia
I had been asked by Josephine if I would like to talk in front of her class about a random topic from my culture. She teaches in grade 7 of the Pohnpei Catholic school and has primarily young Pohnpeians in her class.
After some consideration I decided to talk about "Fastnacht" – Carneval. This comes close to the rituals they know and is so typical for my region and my family – and – a former Carneval's Princess is definitely entitled to speak about that custom.
I got some pictures and facts together and indeed – the kids were completely fascinated, each from different aspects: some liked the scary witches and devils, others liked the beautiful uniform of the Mainzer Prinzengarde. It was very cute to see the glowing faces and the hot discussions about costume options in the break after the presentations. I was told, the rest of the day teaching was hardly possible. I then received some thank-you letters with even costume drawings. How cool is this?
Surfer's paradise
As surfing on a reef with highly toxic corals is not the best idea for beginners like me I just enjoyed a day out on the boat with the Pohnpei surfclub without getting to close to a board. The waves were not high at all this day, but the real Pro's are an event to look at on its own right. That day, Chrissy, a 16-year-old supertalent from the US was ruling the reef. Top surfers are on island almost every week.
Yes, I did work!!!
I realized that I did not post any pictures so far of the Micronesian Seminar, the library, our weekly Monday morning staff meetings and the colourful lunch sessions…
The MicSem team consist of three Chuukese, four Philipinos, two Americans and Father Fran. Although actually American the Jesuit Priest is in Micronesia since 50 years and although now in his 70s ruling the MicSem as a Director with admirable dedication and toughness since over three decades. He is not only one of the most acknowledged scholars for Micronesian History but also a fascinating person. He plays Basketball every day with the young guys and/or goes for a run on the causeway; at functions he is the most wanted conversation partner and I personally learned a lot in every single conversation I had with him.
But also with the other team members I really had enjoyed working together. Eugenia, the Chuukese spent quite some lunch breaks with me together telling me about her life back in Chuuk. Sepio and Raymond, the two younger Chuukese guys went with us to the dance club (sorry no pics from these evenings) and the Philipino ladies are the most cheerful bunch I ever met.
Farewell with flowers in the hair
When I left the island I got a traditional mamar, which is given to people when they arrive or leave the society. With respect to re-use options for Carneval I did not get the one with fresh flowers, but a re-usable one, which will have its revival to do together with my Hibiscus grass skirt and the shell-necklaces next year for the 5th season…
I was leaving the island in a mixed mood. On the one hand I am looking forward to what lies ahead of me, but on the other hand I know that this spot of the world is a bit hard to reach again…

Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen