Dienstag, 16. März 2010

Kanji, Sake, Japanese Gardens, Rock DJanes and Hip Hop Clubs

Learning Japanese for 6 weeks...
...sounds like a nice project that would end in a good result. At least if one has 4 hours class per day plus about two hours for study and homework. I thought so too. But I realized that in order to reach a decent level 60 weeks would be more appropriate. But it is great fun and I really enjoy forcing my brain through these complex grammar structures, that have zero communalities with any European language. And then there is the issue of the characters... In order to come along in everyday life one should be able to read and write about 2000 (!!!) of the Chinese characters and the 160 syllable signs which are used for grammar terms and foreign words. The problem with these is, that you have to remember not only the sequence in which the signs are drawn but also the several pronunciation options.
But enough of complaining. It is really great and I am having a lot of fun with my class. Who of you can find my teacher, the Korean office assistant and the Swedish Fashion designer? My class also features people from Ghana, India, Italy and exotic French creatures.































Sake-evening with Fumiko-san

Fumiko-san is not only a great cook, very active housewife, caring mother of a 10-year-old pre-puberty-girl, speaks fluent English and learns Korean in every free minute - but she is also a party animal!!!

One evening we went out for a Sake evening together Toshi and Mamea (who had been to the Onsen with us) and some other people. We went to several places, including a very traditional sake bar and almost did not get the last train home...

One might think, that I seem to do hardly anything else then hanging out in some bars, but it is a very vital part of the culture. Nobody in the cities has much space at home, so socializing and actually almost every activity (studying etc) happens almost exclusively in public places. Invitations for dinners at home are absolutely rare.












































With the couchsurfing community I had again some awesome activities in Tokyo:

Secret Japanese Gardens in the middle of the city
I met Chie, with whom I went for an early morning walk in the Shinjuku area (just next to my school) to her favourite place: A small Japanese Garden run by a Hotel, but free for the public to enter. You have to know where it is, otherwise you don't dare to pass the gate.
Then suddenly there is a beautiful, quiet garden with pagodes, tradional lanterns, cherry and plum trees and small bridges leading over waterways. We were almost completely alone, apart from a Japanese couple in traditional clothes who were having a foto shooting there.
It was a great setting and I am sure it would be a perfect place for the evening chill down in a summer night, as Chie told me they put up torches and lights when it gets dark. How great is this?









































































Rock DJanes and Hip Hop
Keiko is actually an acountant, but in the evenings she works as DJ in the Shibuya Rock Bar. On one of her free evenings I went there with her for some beers and to see a live concert of a slightly strange band. To get to the bar one has to climb 3 stories in a steep and narrow staircase - never would have gone there!!! As my last train home leaves at 00:30 it rarely gets really late and I have to report to my host family in advance if I won't come home that night. So it feels a bit like being 15 again....


















With Rie and her brother Nori I went for an evening out in Roppongi. Both of them have studied in the US, have great Jobs, are around 30 - and still live at home! When you are a single this is the normal situation.
Anyways, Roppongi is the foreigners Party district and so I was not surprised to hear a lot of English in the first bar. But then we went to a Hip-Hop club and I felt like being somewhere in the US. Many super-trained, pure-coolness black guys and the accompanying female characters!
I think it is possible to survive for years in Japan without a single word Japanese...


Keine Kommentare: